Thursday 2 November 2017

November 1 - Samhain


Samhain is a festival that begins at sunset on the 31st of October and finishes at sunset on the first of November, in accordance with the Celtic measurement of a day.  It marks the end of the harvest and the beginning of the "dark time", which according to the Celtic calendar, compromises the next six months. It was considered a gateway between the two seasons and a time of release or letting go, just as the trees let go of their leaves. Samhain is a fire festival; the symbolic lighting of fires that would be needful for warmth and light, and also needed as protection at a time when the the veil between this world and the next was believed to be very thin. The waxing and waning of the seasons are the markers of your life when your sustenance comes from the ground, and your light is governed by the celestial bodies, and the fire means whether you will survive the winter or not. To celebrate the harvest and ceremonially prepare for the dark time seems appropriate and I imagine the uncertainty of survival might make one wonder if the ancestors were coming for you in the near future. 

Last week it was October; warm, sunny, gloriously coloured, and lulling me into the fantasy of a never-ending fall. Denial is often a comfortable place to visit. However this new month has begun with rain, chilled temperatures and gloom; as if the heavenly lights have dimmed, muting all the colour, and ushering in the very real possibility that a dark time approacheth. sigh. But as I sat and drank my coffee, that beloved and necessary elixir of life, I noticed that the front yard, even on this dismal day, was a really busy place, and I decided that a closer look was in order.
The sparrows were gathered in a noisy group in the shrub next to the house. Having, I noticed, emptied my peanut feeder, they were perhaps discussing what other restaurant might be open in the area.
 A solitary mourning dove was perched with ruffled feathers out of the breeze.

A male Northern cardinal was waiting quietly from the eaves to give his mate the all-clear to visit the yard. Mrs Cardinal is very cautious and he is very careful of her. I could hear the blue jays squawking in the nearby treetops waiting for the sound of peanuts hitting pavement in the driveway.
While the squirrels listened for the same sound, they kept busy in the daily game of finding buried peanuts and re-burying them. I have noticed that even the blue jays will bury peanuts if the ground is soft. They hammer them into the ground with their beaks then cover the spot up with leaves and other debris. This is however, often followed by a wily chipmunk or squirrel digging up said treasure and carting it off to a new spot. The squirrels are getting little tufts of white fur behind their ears, and their coat is getting thicker in preparation for cold days. They are also quite insistent that the kitchen door should open and peanuts should ensue.
Amongst all this activity were several spots of remaining colour. The shrub rose is still ablaze.
A few delicate roses bloom, surrounded by clusters of tiny rose hips. 
Several late blooming lavender sprigs add a touch of purple.

At the base of the Japanese maple some brilliant red leaves are still intact.
This Polygonum affine (I think) shines in the fall when its foliage turns all manner of reds and purples. It is not obvious because it is low growing, but well worth a moment's admiration.
This hopeful Lamb's Ear or Stachys, has poked out a few lavender blooms in case it is still summer. I'm glad that I'm not the only one confused. This plant can be a bit invasive but it is worth the lovely gray foliage and the delightful, soft texture of the thick leaves.
The hydrangea flowers are drying out but their soft colours are quietly lovely.
These seed pods that look vaguely like horseshoe crabs with their rounded shape and spike, (or very small alien skulls), are insurance that I will have snapdragons in the spring.
Yup, still blooming.

I am not a big fan of change. I prefer changes to be made slowly, gently even; like the seasons should gracefully meld into one another. I think many might agree that this year we would just like to know what season we are actually in on any given day. As in life though, changes come daily and as I am not as a rule consulted, I am not generally prepared. You might think that you would eventually reach a point at which you would no longer be surprised, but apparently I am not there yet. So in the meantime I will continue to take small timeouts, quiet moments to adjust my thinking and my emotions, and I will get there eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment