Wednesday 13 December 2017

It's Tradition...

I should have been wrapping; my bedroom is reduced to a path to the bed because of the accumulation of shopping bags. Instead, I ventured into the bowels of the house, also known as the crawl space. Twenty some years ago, we bought this lovely Cuban back split with six steps up, and six steps down from the main floor, and a crawl space. Twenty some years ago that same storage space did not seem to be a big deal, however now, it is a place which my knees wish to avoid at all cost, and my forehead still smarts from collisions with the duct work. I am pretty certain it moves when it sees me coming. 
A few years back, I decided to downsize the tree, thus reducing the number of ornaments needed and put everything else into boxes and bins in the crawl space. Today, in the spirit of the season, I thought that perhaps this wealth should now be distributed amongst my children. I took a poll of my new daughters and we all agreed that this was an excellent plan.
As I unpacked the decorations I thought about how much tradition is built into the trimming of a Christmas tree. Ornaments evoke certain times or places, or sometimes a special person, but all have memories attached. Thee tree can become a little collage of your life.

This glass and wire ornament is the oldest that I have and probably dates back to when my parents began their life together in 1938.

These ones are probably as old as I am or a bit older, but I remember them from my childhood.
The first manger scene that I remember was made of cardboard pieces. It was beautifully coloured and the figures were fitted into little tabs so that they would stand upright within the manger. When it inevitably wore out, it was replaced by these figurines which were always placed under the tree. Mary's nose is a bit worn and Joseph's staff is now missing and I can't seem to find another wise man, but assembling this little tableau was a very important tradition.
These are the stories of Christmas, the special and beloved books that were read once a year. The Shiniest Star is the oldest, and on a sentimental day, can still make me teary. I read them to my boys when they were small, and I still love them.
Some ornaments clearly mark special events in time, like the first Christmas of our marriage. I remember the excitement of having our own place to decorate and start our own traditions.
Then begins the years of handmade offerings made by precious little fingers. I am not sure who made this particular one, but despite the tragic loss of sight in one eye, Rudolph remains to commemorate the time when our children were small.
This ornament was cross-stitched by my sister. I keep it in the Simpsons box that she gave it to us in, and the gift tag remains in the lid. I lost my sister to cancer in 1990, so I love that I have this small tangible reminder of her.
I have a little forest of trees that I love to put out. They are warm and welcoming and can keep me company in winter months after the other ornaments have been put away. 
And the winter bears come out to sit on the Windsor bench. They will sit by the fireplace for the winter too. It is nice to have some things remain when all the twinkly stuff is put away, the rooms don't look quite so bare and empty.

I think there is a particular kind of madness that threatens at this time of year. It is a time that shines a brilliant spotlight, starkly delineating the haves from the have nots;  those present and those now absent. So many people go without; so many are unable to give; so many loved ones will not be at our gatherings this year. There is so much frenetic activity, often done with an air of desperation, to meet expectations that are often unrealistic. Not everyone has a spiritual connection with this holiday, or a family, religious or otherwise, to spend it with. 
So when I look at this photo, the only picture that I have of my siblings and I at Christmas, and I think back to the Christmas times of my childhood, I think that my parents set a good example for me to follow. Give what you can; appreciate what is received; include others; give to those who have less; enjoy being together and remember the best gift is love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment