Tuesday 26 September 2017

Spruced up

When we were looking for a home in this area, I asked the agent for a house with a big tree; I forget why exactly, but it seemed important at the time. She found us this house, which has a huge blue spruce in the front, and it felt like home. The tree is about four storeys high and since this house was built in the 1960's, it is over fifty years old. Not ancient like some oak trees in Britain, for example, or even really old, like the hundred year old willows downtown by the river, but of a goodly age. (not unlike myself)
I don't know if our tree is a grand old lady, or a venerable old man, but it is a peaceful and protective presence in my life. I have an affinity for trees; I don't know why they speak to me, but I love everything about them; the texture of their bark, the variety of their shapes, and the wonder of their fruits. The forest is a place of calm, and this tree brings that sense to me as I sit on the porch beside it. I got to pondering, (such a lovely word), about all the gifts this lovely spruce brings.
It frames our sunset view, shutting out all distractions, and reminds us to appreciate the spectacle for those few moments.
Its quiet presence has helped to create a place where birds and animals feel welcome. (not cats, sorry)

Last year we had chickadees in our birdhouse for the first time. I was not really expecting tenants as the house was deeper than most small birds would care for. Such a delightful, friendly bird, although I was thinking that perhaps what we see as friendly behaviour, is simply evidence of a really strong sense of survival. What diligent and hard-working parents. My favorite bird guide describes the late spring appearance of the chickadee as "worn", an apt description of any parent of newborn children. 


This spring to my delight, wrens moved into that house. It was fascinating as there was a whole new dynamic in the yard. Mama Wren was Queen, the ultimate ruler. Her alarm would tell me if a cat was lurking that I, as her most humble servant should see to. If the chipmunk Fred, was foraging too close to her nest she was on him like a bomber in a strafe attack. Wrens are small birds, like the chickadee, but even the bossy sparrows gave her a wide berth. The wrens were not interested in the variety of bird seed that I provided because they prefer insects, so they were everywhere in the garden hunting under leaves and in crevices for bugs. Her favorite place? the spruce tree.

When the nesting birds have raised their broods and moved out, the sparrows and mourning doves move back into the tree and enjoy the sun on the south-facing side of the tree. This is a cosy spot when  the winter winds are blowing from the north, and faces our living room window so I can watch from my cosy spot.

The spruce invited a Red-breasted nuthatch to stay with us last year. Its larger cousin the White-breasted nuthatch prefers a deciduous home, but it has paused for the occasional visit as well. This wee bird enjoys peanuts in all its forms and sunflower seeds, although they raise their nestlings on insects. I watched her one afternoon and she kept landing on the bricks of the house. She was looking for places to cache her seed. Probably a good thing for us that no places were found.
Every once in a while we get an unusual visitor. This juvenile oriole stopped by for a few moments one morning. Orioles are a normal summer nesting songbird in our area, but are more often seen closer to the river because they prefer the aspens and larger deciduous trees that grow there. 

  Downy woodpeckers and blue jays are year-round family. The woodpeckers visit the peanut feeders, and although both male and female visit to feed, they are never at the feeder at the same time. It is especially fun to see the young ones in the yard. These woodpeckers have landed on metal railings and wooden trellises and attempted to find food, and one day junior landed at the blue-topped birdhouse and drilled away on the end of the perch. Not a fruitful effort! 
  A family of blue jays have frequented the yard this year. I was glad to see young and healthy birds coming to visit, and because they have been raised here, they have learned that not only do peanuts fall from heaven if they squawk, but the people on the porch are harmless so its ok to come quite close. Good deal all the way 'round.

Besides chipmunks, Fred and folks, there are other furry friends of the fir. I never know when a bunny head will pop up somewhere, and of course squirrels are a constant. The bunnies generally snooze under the spruce then go out and forage. Mostly they do that elsewhere, except for the spring when some baby bunnies decided that my oriental lilies needed culling. I was not in agreement. The squirrels enjoy the delights of the tree and I enjoy them. Some people granted, do not, but squirrels have a lot of entertainment value, which we may explore at a later date. We have an agreement; I provide some peanuts, they do not make homes in my roof or chimney.

There are many other regular visitors, all of whom are enjoyed. The spruce tree is a constant inviting presence. When I look out the window at it there is always someone nestling in its branches. Among northern tribes, the spruce and other evergreens, are a  symbol of peace and protection. I am grateful that one resides with us.

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment